Thursday, November 6, 2014

Day 4: Florence, Eataly


First off, apologies for not updating more regularly. Between copious amounts of Chianti and Swiss-cheese-like wifi access, I've only been able to jot down fleeting thoughts in my little journal. Allora...

One of my favorite places in NYC is Mario Batelli's Italian market, Eataly, which succinctly combines what seems like one of the biggest local passions with its terrestrial inspiration into the perfect portmanteau. Case in point: during a morning stroll in il Mercato Centrale, one of the vendors I met easily spoke for 30 minutes dialing down neither his gusto nor his animated hands. I definitely appreciated his brio, as it was great for me to learn how to cook differently sized porcini mushrooms and what to pair them with, what not to pair them with and why, all while strictly maintaining a "just-enough" approach that echoed with what my dad taught me about Cantonese cooking. I think I started counting the number of times (7) he used the word "basta" (enough) after noticing his third utterance! By the way, "divino" (4) and "perfetto" (3) took silver and bronze in this contest.

Beyond the quest for balance, I also appreciated Tuscany's rhythm of eating, which just so happens to time perfectly with the way my stomach demands food. A light breakfast at 9, followed by lunch at 1, then aperitivo at 5, ending with dinner at 8, and possibly drinks at 10. What's nice about this is that I get to sample more food, more often. At this point, I've been able to try just about everyone's amazing suggestions (my stomach thanks you all!), with time to explore some other invitingly cosy options. Generally I seek out smaller establishments where I can chat up the owner, while their diminutive size provides an additional benefit that ensures the flocks of fanny packs can't fit.

So against my instincts, I popped my head into Florence's Eataly market just to check it out. It's still quite nice, but I'm pretty sure I'll miss the mushroom dealer's personal touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment